Domenico Mongelli was born in Foggia (Italy) in 1986. He started to learn piano when he was nine. In 1997 Mongelli entered the Conservatory of Music U. Giordano in Foggia studying under the direction of Daniela Caratori. He graduated with a Bachelor Diploma with Honours and received an award from the Conservatory O. Respighi in Latina. In the same year, Mongelli received the “Regione Lazio Award”, recognizing the best pianist of the year. For this occasion, he was invited to play in Roma (Biblioteca Angelica), Frosinone and Latina. Notable awards received from national and international competitions are: Citta’ di Cesenatico, Al Chiaro di Luna in Torano Nuovo, Citta’ di Nettuno, Igor Strawinsky in Bari, Onde Musicali in Taranto, Citta’ di Formia. Mongelli attended master classes led by Roberto Prosseda, Claudio Trovajoli, Elisso Wirsaladze, Graham Scott, Aaron Shorr, Teppo Koivisto, Hu Yong Liu Tavaststjerna, Petras Geniusas and J.-C. Pennetier.
- In the second Concert Season of Assaggi di Musica, Arte e Natura in 2009, Mongelli performed a Beethoven and Schumann recital solo in Foggia.
- In 2010 Mongelli studied at Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre in a frame of Erasmus under the direction of Peep Lassmann.
- In 2011 Mongelli obtained the Master degree with Honours in piano performance at the Conservatory U. Giordano in the class of Claudio Trovajoli.
- In 2012 he performed the Haydn Piano concerto in D major with the young orchestra ArtOrchEesti under the baton of Karol Kisiel.
- In 2013 in collaboration with Maila Laidna and Mirva Helske he organized a tour called Musical Stories of Three Pianists performing through different cities in Estonia (Tartu, Türi, Tallinn) music of Debussy and Prokofiev. In the same year he obtained a Master’s Degree in piano performance at the Estonian Music Academy and Theatre in Tallinn in the class of Ivari Ilja and Mati Mikalai.
- In 2014 Mongelli moved to Vancouver and started working as a piano teacher. All his students obtained high marks at the RCM exam programs of various levels. In
- December 2015, in collaboration with Dante Alighieri Society of Vancouver, Mongelli played a solo recital at the Pyatt Hall including music by Chopin.
It’s never easy to find a teacher whom your children “love in the first sight”. Kids are kids, and they have ups and downs moment. Although the journey is like a roller coaster; Domenico always able to create an positive nurturing environment that is inspiring and approaching. We love his energy, kindness, patience and method. Kate and Ayden always look forward to meet him. Most importantly, he makes us (the parent) understand after all it’s a learning process for all.